Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Really Creamy Broccoli Soup




I rarely make New Year's Resolutions. 
This year, I did.
 Serve soup every Sunday. 

Not running a mile everyday, not cutting my carbs, not starting Pilates class. Nope, nothing that remarkable. There will be exceptions, of course. Sundays I'm sewing to meet a deadline, weekend guests, Summer barbecues, or just Chinese take out. But for me it's... attainable. 
Over the holidays I had the most incredible Cream of Broccoli Soup at favorite restaurant in our little downtown. I loved the texture, so smooth and creamy. Every time I made broccoli soup, it was, well... more chunky. This was like silk! After searching for broccoli soup recipes that were really creamy... I winged it and came up with my own!  


So first up in my Soup Every Sunday mission:
Really Creamy Broccoli Soup

Printable Recipe

CREAMY BROCCOLI SOUP

6 Cups  Broccoli Florets or Cuts (I used frozen)
4 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes + 2 Cups Water
1 Medium Onion Chopped
2-3 Garlic Cloves Minced
1/4 Cup Flour
1 Medium Potato Peeled and Chopped into 1" Pieces
1/2 to 3/4 Cup Half & Half (or Heavy Cream)
2 TBLS Butter
Pinch of Thyme (optional)
Pinch of Marjoram (optional)

Melt butter in saucepan you are cooking the soup in, medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Add flour and stir constantly about 1 minute.

Add the broccoli, potato, chicken stock, water & bouillon, thyme & marjoram. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

Let the soup cool for a bit, and then (my favorite part) use the Immersion Blender to puree. For a really creamy texture, blend until there are no more bits or chunks of broccoli. Nice and smooth.

Place the pot back on the stove and slowly add the half & half, stirring slowly to blend. 
Add salt & fresh ground pepper to taste.

Reheat the soup, (stirring a few times)  if serving right away. Store in the refrigerator to reheat and serve later or the next day.

FYI...
This recipe is best prepared with (my favorite kitchen gadget) an Immersion Blender. If using a standard blender, let the soup cool a bit and puree in batches.

After adding the half & half, I added another tablespoon of... yep, Butter!

Add less or more half & half depending on the consistency you want.

Add other spices of your choice.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments: